Our Lady of Guadalupe Extended Care is a place where students are able to come before and after school to play and grow in a safe, caring, Christian environment. The program is designed to meet the needs of our students and parents. Parents will have the security of knowing that their children are experiencing a program devoted entirely to the caring, growth and development of each child. The Extended Care staff will work with the children to build and reinforce a positive attitude about caring for one another in a group setting. The Extended Care staff focuses on the same philosophy, goals and objectives as the school.
Extended Care Contact Information: Extended Care Cell (510) 853-8294
Extended Care Hours of Operation: Mornings – 6:45 – 7:45 a.m. daily;
Afternoons – End of school day until 6:00 p.m.
Our Lady of Guadalupe School Extended Care is an extension of the school and, therefore, will be open starting on the first day of school. Extended Care will be closed on all holidays and days when school is not in session. The afternoon sessions will be closed the day before Thanksgiving, the last day of school before Christmas break, Holy Thursday, and the last day of the school year. These days are all noted in the school calendar.
Extended Care Facilities
The Extended Care building is designated as the Regina Bigley Learning Center. The area provides a place for the children to play a board game, work on art projects, watch a movie, or play Nintendo. Extended Care uses the library on a regular basis, where bathrooms are located. Extended Care also uses the bathrooms located in the school building.
Extended Care Registration
An Extended Care, non-refundable registration fee of $30 per child, is due at the time of Enrollment. Parents will also be asked to list the names of those adults that will be authorized to pick up their children. Children will not be released to anyone not listed without a written authorization. Families must contact the school office to make any additions or changes to the list.
For those who do not wish to use Extended Care on a regular basis, drop-in attendance is also offered at a different rate (please see below).
Extended Care Financial Policy (revised June 2016)
Regular Extended Care Use
Families who anticipate using Extended Care on a regular basis pay an annual registration fee of $30 at the time the child is enrolled for the coming school year. The Extended Care is pre-paid in advance of use in one of five hourly-blocks.
Pre-Paid Rates for 2018-2019 and 2019-2020:
5 hours – $32 (cost = $6.40/hour)
10 hours – $60 (cost = $6.00/hour)
20 hours – $113 (cost = $5.65/hour)
50 hours – $273 (cost = $5.46/hour)
100 hours – $515 (cost = $5.15/hour)
Hours may only be purchased in these blocks of hours, although more than one block may be purchased at any one time. Extended Care use is deducted on the half-hour. A fee of $1.00 per child, per minute, will be charged after 6:00 p.m. Families who are late more than twice will be charged $3.00 per child, per minute. Late charges are due at the time of pick-up.
Should a student’s Extended Care balance drops below zero-hours and remain so by the end of the week, the total number of negative hours will be invoiced on the family’s school account. The rate charged for negative hours will be at the most recent hourly-rate the family purchased. A $25 late payment fee will be added.
Drop-in Extended Care
- For families who do not wish to use Extended Care on a regular basis, drop-in use is $10 per hour, charged on the half-hour, with payment due at the time of pick-up. A grace period to the end of the current week is offered for paying Drop-In Extended Care charges. Any charges not paid by the end of the week in which Extended Care was used will be charged to the family’s school account along with a $25 late payment fee.
- The Extended Care Staff has a credit card machine to allow for payments to be made on-site, for either pre-paid services or drop-in fees.
- Payments for Extended Care can also be paid in the Bookkeeper’s office during office hours.
End-of-Year Extended Care Balance
In the month of May a calendar will be posted in the weekly bulletin noting the remaining Extended Care morning and afternoon hours for the school year. Families may use the calendar to estimate the number of hours they will need to purchase for the remainder of the school year. Any hours not used by the end of the year will be forfeited.
Extended Care Procedures for Checking In and Out
When signing your child in, please use a full signature and correct time. These times are used for billing purposes so please make them legible. During sign-out, an EC staff member will have the sign-in/sign-out book. The parent will sign out and the staff member will list the time according to atomic time on her cell phone. The procedure will be enforced before and after school. Failure to sign your child in or out may result in a suspension from the program (length of suspension to be determined). The above rules are in place for the safety of the children.
All authorized persons picking up new students and kindergartners will be asked to show identification. These procedures are for the safety of your children. Please let your child know ahead of time if they will be going to Extended Care. Little ones are sometimes frightened if it is their first time.
A student attending regularly scheduled activities (e.g., Student Council, Choir) that begin immediately at the end of the school day does not need to sign into Extended Care. However, at the scheduled ending of the activity, the student will be signed into Extended Care and charged accordingly if he/she is not picked up. Students involved with any activity that does not start immediately after school such as band practice, will be signed into EC, will be charged for EC between dismissal and the start of band practice. If the child gets picked up from school at dismissal and then is dropped off before the activity starts, the family will be charged for EC from the time the child is dropped off until the activity (i.e., band practice) starts. If an activity is cancelled the same day or dismisses early, the student must sign into Extended Care but no child will be charged the Extended Care fee during the time of the regularly scheduled activity. Fees will be charged for time used after the activity is scheduled to end. If a discrepancy occurs in Extended Care billing, parents may inform Mrs. Pennelly of their concern in a reasonable, respectful fashion at an appropriate time and not in front of the children.
It has been our experience that children at times are told by their parents to avoid going into Extended Care and are found hiding in various parts of the yard or bathrooms. This practice models dishonesty for the children, disrespect for staff members, and is against school safety rules. If the above occurs, parents will be called in for a conference and subsequent decisions will be made at that time.
Procedures concerning Extended Care for the Spring play rehearsals will be sent home, closer to the event, for those families involved.
Parents who are performing volunteer hours should keep their children with them. During conferences students who are on campus must be with their parent/guardian. If the parent/guardian chooses to use Extended Care, they will be charged for that time. If the parent is off campus, even if performing volunteer work, the student must sign in and will be charged for the time. Extended Care is not responsible for children who are not signed in after the 3:10 bell rings if parents are on school grounds.
At no time will Extended Care be responsible for children who are not enrolled at Our Lady of Guadalupe School. Children who are not OLG students must be with their parents/guardians at all times.
Extended Care Activities
The following activities are part of what is offered at Extended Care:
- Arts & Crafts – Come in and look at the walls filled with lots of great creations.
- Computers – Used several times a week for homework and free play.
- Indoor/Outdoor Free Play – This is the favorite activity of the day. Board games, field, playground, and the basketball court is where you may find your child at the end of the day.
- Indoor/Outdoor Organized Play – A game of bingo organized by the older kids is always fun.
- Snack Time – Small snacks are given every afternoon after dismissal.
Doing Homework During Extended Care
After your child has attended school all day he/she may choose not to do his/her homework right away. Sometimes the child needs to use some of their energy on play before they can settle down. Please discuss what your child’s homework decision should be. Extended Care is not responsible for unfinished homework or forgotten items. Extended Care staff will not open the school or classrooms after school dismissal. Extended Care will provide a quiet area and help if needed. It is the responsibility of the parent and the student to check over homework daily.
Extended Care Snacks
A small snack and juice drink will be provided daily after school. If your child requires more to eat, please supply her/him an extra snack for the day. Many children are very hungry before being picked up. On minimum days, the children must bring a lunch and something to drink. Any food allergies must be noted on the registration form.
Handling Illness and Medication During Extended Care
In the event of illness, you will be called to pick up your child, as we are not equipped to care for a sick child. If your child requires medication after school, an extra, labeled container must be left with the Extended Care director. A form giving permission allowing medication to be administered to your child must be on file in the office. Prescription medication and aspirin require a parent/guardian and physician’s authorization.
Extended Care Policy on School Phone and Cell Phones
Extended Care will not allow children to call home under any circumstances. Extended Care staff will call parents in case of an emergency. Please make pick-up arrangements and play date arrangements in advance. Extended Care will follow the school’s cell phone policy.
Extended Care Policy on Toys & Clothing
Children may bring their PE clothes or sports uniforms to change into during Extended Care if they are going directly to a game. Other free dress may not be brought to school to wear during Extended Care. Small toys are NOT allowed at Extended Care. Extended Care is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items, so it is important that you do not allow your child to bring toys to school.
Extended Care Discipline
Because it takes but one child to disrupt an entire group, it is necessary that the children realize the importance of acceptable behavior. Talk with your child about inappropriate language and inappropriate physical conduct. Behavioral expectations during Extended Care are consistent with the expectations of students during school hours. Unacceptable or disruptive behavior will be addressed with consequences consistent with the school discipline policy. If a situation warrants, parents will be notified verbally when picking up their child.
Parent Responsibilities for Extended Care
- Parents are expected to keep a balance on their Pre-pay Extended Care account for those students enrolled in the Pre-Pay program or to pay drop-in fees at the time of pick-up.
- Pick up your child/children on time, not later than 6:00 pm
- Check your child’s homework daily.
- Accompany your child/children into the Extended Care building in the morning to sign-in.
- Sign child/children out at Pick-Up.
- For the safety of your child(ren), they will be required to sign in after school. If they attend but are not signed in, Extended Care staff will sign them in automatically and you will be charged accordingly, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Provide a lunch and extra snack if needed. Unfortunately, some students go without lunch on noon dismissal days.
- Send a signed note if your child is being picked up by someone not on your list. Persons picking up children may be asked to show ID. You may fax a note (which must include your signature and the date) to the school office before 3:00 pm
- Understand that fees may be increased as determined necessary by the program.
- If picking up your child after 6:00 pm, please sign using the exact time.
- Drive 5 mph on the school campus and follow parking procedures as described in the “Drop off & Pick Up Procedures” section of this handbook.
- All school rules must be followed during Extended Care.
- For your child’s safety and because honesty is crucial, it is not permissible to advise him/her to hide from Extended Care. Consequences are given above.